[Dev] Network Monitoring Solutions

Jon Carnes dev@trilug.org
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:55:10 -0400

I have to agree with Mike,  OpenNMS hands down.  One the best network
monitoring tools I've ever worked with.

If you need help setting it up, let me know.  I just setup a client with
OpenNMS and the setup is still fresh in my mind.

BTW: if you are just monitoring a few select boxes, you can use a low-end
machine, but if you want to continuously monitor a whole network you'll
want a fast processor, lots of RAM, and lots of Hard Drive space
(especially for the /var directory).

I setup a box recently that was a 650Mhz with 512Mb and had a 10Gb /var
directory.  It was set to use 30 simultaneous threads to explore the
network looking for new devices, and another 30 threads to check the
existing devices.  Each thread took about 11Mb of RAM.

The box did an excellent job of monitoring 500 nodes on 8 distinct subnets
(5 connected via VPN)

BTW 2: For OpenNMS to install properly you will need to download and
install the Sun java sdk first.  If you read the install instructions for
OpenNMS they do a decent job of walking you through it.... and after that,
the setup is really easy!

Jon
===