[Dev] seeking NSF grant application advice/info

Brent Verner dev@trilug.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:22:21 -0500

[2002-01-16 19:39] M. Mueller/bhu5nji said:
| The university boys and girls should be able to give you advice.  I worked on
| project in college that was in part supported by NSF funding.  One question I
| have right off the bat is about the reception one would get if they were not
| affiliated with a university.  But that concern comes from knowing that NSF
| is run by the governement which is actually a division of Microsoft.

There are NSF grants that are available to only univ., but there are
some available only to non-educational entities (including
individuals)... <smacks self for not staying in school...>  Yeah,
I know univ. are major consumers of the NSF funds, so I'm hoping
some kind individual might help me find my way into that circle ;-)

| I think it's a worthy use of my tax dollars.  Good luck.  I'm interested in
| hearing more about this venture.

Same here.  What I was actually thinking, was how neat it would be
to start a research group to funnel some of this gov't funding into
the Open Source arena.  There are no limitations that I can see on
releasing grant-supported work, aside from the requirement that you
must acknowledge that the product.

For one, I'd like to get funding to support participation in
and an open source implementation of the Liberty Alliance project.
http://www.projectliberty.org/.
  1) to help the Liberty Alliance gain wider acceptance by
     including open source apps.
  2) to make sure open source apps are not out-in-the-cold ;-)

I have no idea how to accomplish this goal, however :-(  If I get
any info that doesn't get to the list, I'll fill you in.

rambling now....

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman