[Dev] Re: [TriLUG] Server Check-Out / In-Use-Register software

David R. Matusiak dev@trilug.org
Sat, 24 May 2003 13:08:04 -0400

Oh-Oh RULES!!  and that is that!!

seriously, i have no idea what y'all are talking about, but i thought
the topic was interesting, so i joined the dev list.  he he he.  i will

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 11:30  AM, Diana Duncan wrote:

> Oh, I so, so, so agree with you, Tanner.  One of the worst
> applications of OO is using it as a "wrapper" around relational
> database objects.  There is no better guarantee of poor performance
> for your application.  And yet, I'm too often called in to "tune" the
> database for these applications.  How?  Basically, the design removes
> all the power of whatever database engine you are using, and reduces
> the RDBMS to acting as a souped-up flat-file database.  Yuck.  The
> only way to tune that is to throw hardware at it, and as 80% of tuning
> is done via SQL, you've lost your most powerful tuning tool.
>
> When cooking in the kitchen, do you use just one knife for everything,
> one pot and one burner on the stove?  Sure, you can cook like that,
> but it's limiting.  OO evangelism makes for limited, blinder-wearing
> software designers.
>
> Diana
>
> On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 23:55 US/Eastern, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 May 2003, bp wrote:
>>
>>> What's C?  Just kidding.  I'm hoping to completely forget C as soon
>>> as
>>> possible.  That way I can spend all my hours better understanding