[Dev] Re: [TriLUG] Server Check-Out / In-Use-Register software

B. Evans dev@trilug.org
Sun, 25 May 2003 22:04:29 -0400

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

>On Fri, 23 May 2003, bp wrote:
>What's C?  Just kidding.  I'm hoping to completely forget C as soon as
>possible.  That way I can spend all my hours better understanding Java
>just in time for the next great OO language to come out...
>

><flame retardent suit on>
>
>Or, you could realize that OO isn't the end-all/be-all of programming
>paradigms and switch to a multi-paradigm language (hmm... what could
>that be..? Oh, right, C++. The most advanced language out there O:-)
>
>:-)
>
></flame retardent suit on>

I didn't mean to sound like a moron, but was rather making light of
Jon's comment about doing the app I proposed in C.  I've written C & C++
through school and a time or two with Cisco but all I do now is J2EE
stuff.  As for C++ being the most advanced, sure - but it's also much
tougher to fully understand than Java.

>Seriously, though.  OO is very often not appropriate for things.
>When it is, it works really well.  When it's not, it's like trying
>to fit the square block through the round hole.  You shouldn't
>think that one language will solve all your problems.  There are
>times when Java is a good language and times when it is not.
>Sometimes scripting languages like perl or python are the best.
>C++ is useful a lot of time.  And, if you're writing low level
>stuff like a kernel, C is most likely the appropriate language
>(but not when you're writing widget sets, for crying out loud!).

With a big enough hammer and enough nails who really ever needs screws?
Just kidding.

>If you're interested in discussing this more, btw, let's continue
>this discussion on the Trilug development list instead of
>starting yet another long, drawn out thread here on the main list.
>(See the "CC:" field above.)
>
>Cheers,
>Tanner Lovelace

I fully understand that C will have it's place (and be superior) for a
good long time to come.  For me though, C/C++ aren't a required job
skill.  Java pays the bills and more expertise in Java helps so I'll
stick to Java for now.  The hardware guys will understandably stick to
C.  I'm sure C++ is good for something too.  I do still write a lot of
Perl and sh scripts but those are mostly on the side. (Does anyone
really consider these real programming languages now?  IT work sure, but
bundled / sold apps?)  Even seasoned Java-hating programmers have to
admit that Java has come a long way performance wise.

New to the dev list now.   -bp