[Hosting] Equipement donations and Inflow walk-through?

Ed Hill hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:58:35 -0700

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:06:22PM -0500, Christian J Hedemark spoke thusly:
>
>>Can we consider a box running VMware with multiple linux distros on it, and
>>do binary builds and packages?  I.e. Red Hat and Mandrake RPM's, Debian
>>packages, etc.  If this can all be scripted that would be awesome.  It would
>>be a great service to the community for us to take some useful projects and
>>provide automated binary build services for them.  Do the builds on a series
>>of rotated cron jobs so that you don't have all the different virtual
>>machines building at once.
>>

> Why? We can make .debs & .rpms on the same box. That's not an
> issue. The cost of VMWare - which I highly doubt they'd give to us -
> would be. And anyway, you need an X console to run VMWare. Just
> getting an auto-reboot to handle that bit would be a bitch.
>
> I'd rather build .rpms & debs for multiple archs (x86, alpha, mips,
> source) than fight the good fight to get VMWare set up in the scenario
> you propose.
>
> In the mean time, this is what I'd liek to see :
>
> 1) A central login to trilug.org, so that every machine has the same
>    /home, /projects (or whatever) and CVS repository
> 2) A bug tracker (I'm leaning towards gnats after looking it over)
> 3) Tinderbox
>
> Thoughts?

+1, never used tinderbox but would like to learn!  ;-)

and IMHO VMWare is little or no gain for us remotely...

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher    |  Emails:   <ed.a.t.eh3.com>, <ehill.a.t.mines.edu>