[Hosting] Equipement donations and Inflow walk-through?

Christian J Hedemark hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 21:05:21 -0500

Kevin says:
> Why? We can make .debs & .rpms on the same box.

Kevin... please expound... this is very much news to me.

> I'd rather build .rpms & debs for multiple archs (x86, alpha, mips,
> source) than fight the good fight to get VMWare set up in the scenario
> you propose.

I've tried and had very bad luck with setting up gcc for cross compiling (to
make it worse, this was on an E450 running Solaris 2.6) but if we've got
real hardware that's great.  We've already got Alpha, maybe MIPS coming, and
x86 should be noooo problem to find.

> 1) A central login to trilug.org, so that every machine has the same
>    /home, /projects (or whatever) and CVS repository

Sounds like we've got some good ideas between us for accomplishing this.
Having a secure LAN in our rack would definitely help us to get this part
going.

> 2) A bug tracker (I'm leaning towards gnats after looking it over)

I can help with this.  It's not pretty but it works.

> 3) Tinderbox

Well again, I think that before we spend too much time naming products,
let's sit down and decide what services we want to offer first and then
maybe pencil in some names of products to provide those services.  This is
going to be different from doing it within a company though since we are all
volunteers and will have a preference for what we already know as opposed to
what might be best for the job.   Kinda like with the mailing lists, I knew
mailman and was willing to set that up.  Some people weren't happy with
that, possibly based on meritorious reasons, but as a volunteer I don't
really have the time to learn something else just to make someone else
happy.  And mailman seems to be "good enough" so I for one am happy with it.

Again, let's get together.  Is everyone going to be in town next weekend?
Can we get together on saturday of next week perhaps? (24-NOV-01)  Meet for
food somewhere in RTP maybe and then document the crap out of all the great
thoughts that spill forth.