[Hosting] mirrors

Christian J Hedemark hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:45:07 -0500

Anyone from the SC...

...how much space do we have on fatalpha?  And how much of that is free?

And what is the reason that we aren't sharing files through FTP?

I think if we could get the drive capacity up quite a bit (I'm thinking big
cheap and who cares if it's slow IDE drive), we should be able to mirror
quite a number of useful projects and make them available via ftp for
members only (i.e. no anonymous ftp).

Some that come to mind...

Gnu (big one... takes almost 4GB now)
KDE
Gnome
Linux kernel (we do mirror this but we haven't grabbed any updates since
November... I have alerted the SC about this)
Red Hat distro
Debian
(I only mention those two as they come up a lot in discussion and are well
used by LUG members)

Also some local projects:
OpenNMS
Flowe (if it ever goes GPL)

I do think opening up FTP to members is an important service to provide.
Let's talk more about this.

Now the big question is where do we get the space... TriLUG is pretty much
broke.  The only way we're going to get a drive is through a donation or
sponsorship.  How is our relationship with Intrex these days???

If/when we get some more space, and if/when we can provide ftp services to
our members, I'd be willing to set up the mirroring.