[Hosting] mirrors

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney hosting.a.t.trilug.org
11 Jan 2002 08:12:59 -0500

--=-WGT9eTEdyUvEskZpwqBx

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 02:45, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> ...how much space do we have on fatalpha?  And how much of that is free?

[root.a.t.fatalpha two]# df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1                 1010       328       631  34% /
/dev/sda3                 4362       549      3592  13% /home
/dev/sda4                 2023      1439       481  75% /usr
/dev/sda2                 1011       122       838  13% /var
/dev/sdb1                 8609      3292      4880  40% /mirrors/one
/dev/sdc1                 8609      2843      5328  35% /mirrors/two
/dev/sdd1                 8609      6221      1951  76% /mirrors/three

> And what is the reason that we aren't sharing files through FTP?

FTP is pretty insecure. sFTP is available through openssh, though.

> I think if we could get the drive capacity up quite a bit (I'm thinking b=
ig
> cheap and who cares if it's slow IDE drive), we should be able to mirror
> quite a number of useful projects and make them available via ftp for
> members only (i.e. no anonymous ftp).

Show me one ftp daemon that doesn't have a remote root exploit, and
we'll probably consider it. Even with non-anonymous ftp, you risk
sending the login password via plaintext. not a big thing if we auth
against MySQL for the ftpd, but a big problem if we auth against actual
login accounts. And when we *DO* have "universal login" this is an even
bigger risk.

> Now the big question is where do we get the space... TriLUG is pretty muc=
> broke.  The only way we're going to get a drive is through a donation or
> sponsorship.  How is our relationship with Intrex these days???

So-So. I had to take them to task before the holidays to make sure we
were getting our full discount on new systems (they wanted to give my
dad 3% off - 1% if he paid with a credit card - instead of the in the
bylaws and previously negotiated $50. That got fixed, becuase unless you
were buying an expensive super system, 3% almost never =3D $50)

> If/when we get some more space, and if/when we can provide ftp services t=
> our members, I'd be willing to set up the mirroring.

Hey, that's cool. OK, gang, discuss away - I've given our "why we did it
this way" blurb - tell me how & why I'm worng!

--=20
--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist.a.t.darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001

--=-WGT9eTEdyUvEskZpwqBx

--=-WGT9eTEdyUvEskZpwqBx--