[Linux-ham] packet radio -- resurrecting equipment

Tadd Torborg tadd at mac.com
Tue Jan 14 13:47:49 EST 2014

I'll get a station on 145.03 as soon as possible. Probably this weekend.  Somewhere in the house I already have the cable for my 2m rig.    My wild guess is that anybody who can get 443.625 on an HT can probably work me with a base antenna, on 2m and maybe on 440.

I'm curious where everybody is who is going to be playing with this.  Please characterize your site as well, what kind of antenna?  What repeaters to you hit with an HT from your house and what can you get with your base station equipment?  What kind of antenna do you use on 2m and 440?

Kevin,
   Your coordinates in QRZ are for Bowling Green so the map wouldn't give me distance.  Hillsborough is pretty far for me.
  In the interest of characterizing where you can communicate, can you tell me what repeaters you can hit?  Also how strong these repeaters are to you?
145.19-  156.7pl  -- if you can get this, then 443.625   88.5pl   (North Raleigh)
145.23-  107.2pl  -- if you can get this, then try 443.475   131.8pl  (Chapel Hill)
147.255+   82.5pl    (Ashboro)

I have some small hope of reaching a really good site in Hillsboro from my house but it is a stretch and would require luck, power and yagis on both ends.  Yuck.  I have a mount on the house with 2 VHF/UHF multi-band verticals.  i could mount yagis for fixed direction but have not done so, so far.

  What I'm thinking is to put in a link from my house to North Chapel Hill at KV7D's house using 220Mhz 25watts and short yagis, and then repeat from there over to Hillsborough on 440Mhz.  Does this make sense?  This would give us a few sites for new participants to tie into.   What I'd really like is somebody who can talk to KV7D and also to Efland.  I want to see Efland link further west, and south down to Charlotte.  That may take a few more hops.  I know somebody in Efland that should be interested in this but I need to get a demo setup going to show them.  .

  I bought 4 of the TNC-PI kits and have a pair of 25 watt 220 rigs and a pair of 25watt 440 rigs to test with.  Also have two Raspberry PI units.  I hope to build one of the kits this weekend.  I'm not great with small stuff due to eyes but am willing to give it a go.  The TNC-PI looks very easy as all of the parts are through-hole and the ICs are appear to be in sockets.
  If our links are short enough, we can use antique and cheap, or new and Chinese, handie talkies to make the hops.
  There are two hams near me that want in on this, I just want to test out the PiLinBpq software with the TNC-PI boards before I go crazy and recommend that people reproduce this setup.  The PI and pair of TNCs costs about $140 (see attached picture).  25watt 440 ham radio mobile rigs are about $125 each on the used market.  Convertible commercial rigs are about $80.  220 ham radio HTs cost about $80 and 440 HTs are around $50 both on the used market for old, and the new market for Chinese.  .
  Once i get my two neighbors hooked up, they should be able to offer linking in some directions better than I can.

Is anybody in the area interested in a kit party?  I have tools, and will supply pizza.  .

   Tadd   KA2DEW