[Linux-ham] RARSfest TriLUG Table SignUp

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Fri Apr 14 14:33:57 EDT 2017

On 04/14/2017 11:07 AM, Scott G. Hall wrote:
> { answers inline ... }

> RARS is also running their own "Learn to Solder" area, but basically you solder
> a dipole antenna, and it misses a lot of skills -- not to mention the fun.

They make no claims of "Learn to solder". The website says:
  Build a J-pole Come to our project table & build your own 2 meter
J-pole antenna
  (We provide tools, materials, and guide you through this simple project.)

Large soldering (coax) and small soldering (boards, wires) are somewhat
different beasts, so a "Learn to solder" booth is still a good idea.
This isn't a competition.

>> * is there any benefit of giving out CDs now that most people have easy access
>> to high speed networks
>
> TriLUG is talking up Linux because a lot of ham-radio enthusiasts are still
> running windows, and there is a plethora of ham radio software available.  You
> will find that a lot of ham-radio enthusiasts are Internet phobic and Internet
> ignorant, and would not take the time to try Linux if they can't just insert a
> DVD and boot it up.  Burning DVD's and providing information is the best way to
> get it out there.

I still find it surprising how many gaps there are in high-speed network
access. Not to mention that DSL isn't really broadband by modern standards.

I'd also point out that there's a lot of old gear out there, so some of
these machines might still have CD drives _only_. This is frustrating
since modern distros blow the 700MB limit pretty regularly now.
Something to keep in mind.

Even more disconnected from the traditional CD/DVD route are RasPi and
other SBCs that have you writing an image to microSD.

> TriLUG showing off and talking about Software Defined Radio hits right at home
> for the hamfest.  Also wireless data gathering (think Internet-of-Things), radio
> telemetry (as in drones, RC models, balloon-sats and outdoor weather stations),
> radio location beacon relay, and monitoring of smart-home and smart-energy
> alerts.  I've got examples and magazine articles -- all running on Linux.  I
> would think should be TriLUG's primary focus, not necessarily providing Linux DVD's.

I would also suggest that there is some "gateway" software out there:
programs that are Open Source and can be run on other platforms that
might entice users to further explore alternatives. Some quick examples:

FLdigi (http://www.w1hkj.com/) - PSK31 and other digital modes.
CHIRP (http://chirp.danplanet.com/) - Radio programming, usually with
better features than the manufacturer provided software.

73 de Kevin N8VNR