[Linux-ham] RARSfest TriLUG Table SignUp

Scott G. Hall scott at hallcomm-inc.com
Fri Apr 14 11:07:32 EDT 2017

{ answers inline ... }

On 04/14/2017 12:03 AM, Rodney Radford wrote:
> Thete seems to be multiple, independent, and non coordinated TriLUG TARS
> events in process.
>
> The questions I see are:
> * is TrLUG running the solder training, and if so, where is the soldering
> equipment and who is in charge

SplatSpace, ie. me, is doing the Learn to Solder tables.  I have all kinds of
electronic kits for the event, plus several forms of instructions and videos.
SplatSpace is providing the soldering stations and tools, and also various
Velleman kits.  I am the only one manning this table, with 5 soldering stations
surrounding me.

RARS is also running their own "Learn to Solder" area, but basically you solder
a dipole antenna, and it misses a lot of skills -- not to mention the fun.

> * is there any benefit of giving out CDs now that most people have easy access
> to high speed networks

TriLUG is talking up Linux because a lot of ham-radio enthusiasts are still
running windows, and there is a plethora of ham radio software available.  You
will find that a lot of ham-radio enthusiasts are Internet phobic and Internet
ignorant, and would not take the time to try Linux if they can't just insert a
DVD and boot it up.  Burning DVD's and providing information is the best way to
get it out there.

TriLUG showing off and talking about Software Defined Radio hits right at home
for the hamfest.  Also wireless data gathering (think Internet-of-Things), radio
telemetry (as in drones, RC models, balloon-sats and outdoor weather stations),
radio location beacon relay, and monitoring of smart-home and smart-energy
alerts.  I've got examples and magazine articles -- all running on Linux.  I
would think should be TriLUG's primary focus, not necessarily providing Linux DVD's.

> * who has the club banner?

One of the Steering Committee members has the banner -- I forgot which one:
Brian? Scott?  Maybe Michael?  You have to ask around.

> * Jeremy auggested tonight he would get some flyers/cards made up. I think
> this is a great idea

Perfect.  Also being able to have printed synopsis of the last years worth of
meetings would help too.

> * what do you need help unloading Sat morning, and are you still looking for help

I need help unloading my truck and then rearranging some of the tables, and the
distribution of materials from my truck to the various clubs I have stuff for:
SplatSpace, TriLUG, and TriEmbed.  Plus getting any banners, laptops, SDR
demonstrations, and anything else going on the TriLUG table.

> * who else plans to be there and when? I plan to be tgere all day, mixed
> between TrEmbed, TriLUG, and looking for deals

I'll send out a list of what I know in a little bit -- today is quite hectic
with me trying get all of SplatSpace's stuff, all my stuff together for this,
plus all that I am doing at my church for Holy Week (the marathon started Tues.
night with dress rehearsals).  I haven't slept much and there's still a lot to
go.  I was hoping that more members would have signed in on SignupGenius.Com.

> * I paid for the TriLUG table at $23, Jeremy gave me $20 tonight, and I then
> passed $10 back for the pizza fund

We have a whole island of tables between TriLUG, TriEmbed, SplatSpace, Alex
Davis, Pete Soper & myself.  Pete paid for 5 tables and 1 power drop: he, Alex,
TriEmbed and possibly IEEE/TAR.  I paid for 3 tables and another power drop:
TriLUG and SplatSpace.

If you also bought a table, we will want to coordinate with the RARS guys when
you get there: Jeff Wittich (our main contact), Hank Montgomery (vendor area --
and who gave us a great position right in front of the classroom in the vendor's
section).  That would make 9 tables total.  I'll let Pete know since he is going
over there at 3:00 today to preset the tables and put some plastic cloths on
them.  He & Alex are dropping their stuff off today, and putting old table
cloths on them overnight (for a modicum of security).

> What did I miss?

Give me a call today when you can -- I'm easier at verbal communications:
919-624-5973

--
Scott G. Hall
Chief Engineer/Owner