did anyone get the number of people at the last meeting

Joseph Mack ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:48:16 -0400

James Brigman wrote:

> I counted 38, including the presenters and myself.

thanks

> I confess that I counted
> the people who remained until pizza time to estimate whether or not there
> would be any pepperoni left. :-)

only those that survive to the bitter end deserve to be counted :-)

> Tanner's presentation seemed to have a lot of "draw power". I saw a lot of
> people this time who are not regular attendees.

I rarely see the same people twice. I have no idea whether I just don't
recognise the same people over and over, or we have different people for
each meeting. Admittedly the only people I know by
name/face are the people who have been office holders and stood up an
introduced themselves multiple times. I haven't got to know the people
who listen, eat their food and go. This is not a problem if we have lots of
speakers, money, people to stand for office at election time, all of
which has happened in the past, but we've just finished (hopefully) a bit
of a rough time in this regard.

Since I've been coming for about 5yrs, it's likely that my current approach is
not going to get me aquainted with any more people.

Is anyone up for doing something different, like spending a few minutes where
we are asked to introduce ourselves to someone we don't know, tell them something
about ourselves and why we come to the meetings, and then listen to the other
person's story? I know it's a bit touchy feely, but my current algorithm
isn't getting anywhere.

> PS: I wouldn't miss the onion pizza if we quit having it. :-p

They're my favorite. Don't worry, I'll save you from them next time
I'm there, I promise.

Joe
mailto:mack.joseph@epa.gov ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA