Anyone Running Linux/Oracle?

Jeremy Portzer ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
12 Dec 2002 08:57:55 -0500

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 03:55, James Brigman wrote:
> I'd like to hear from anyone who has an actual, live Linux/Oracle server
> running, and spare no details: I'd like to hear what CPU speed, how much
> RAM, what size and type of hard drives, ethernet interfaces, etc. Are the
> drives hot/warm/cold swap, what kind of case are you using and does it have
> a redundant power supply?

I will soon be running Oracle on Linux in a production environment (in
testing now).  Dunno if that counts as "live" or not.  The machine is a
few years old, but capable -- dual 733 MHz PIII, 2 GB RAM, two Intel
100MB ethernet, five 18GB 10,000 RPM SCSI hard drives in hot-swap
enclosure with AMI MegaRAID card.  Four of the drives are configured in
RAID 1 (mirroring) and the fifth is a hot swap, so the total storage is
"only" 36GB but so far that hasn't been a problem.  The system also has
a DAT/DDS-4 backup drive.  It's a Gateway 7210 server, though I'm not
sure we would buy from Gateway again due to shoddy external construction
(the front panels won't stay on) and technical support (one weekend when
I had a hardware problem there was only one technician working the
"server" department and I was on hold for 3 hours).

As far as Oracle -- in testing it seems to work fine.  The version we're
using is bundled with a third-party application rather than coming from
Oracle directly; it's a "scaled down" version supposedly, although the
scaled-down aspect is mostly in the license, not the actual software.
I'm not an Oracle DBA, so I can't say much about its performance other
than that it seems to run our application fine.  The Linux server runs
several other things (web services, some PHP and Perl apps) and has
generally been very reliable.

--Jeremy