Buying Books

ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:48:03 -0400

Surprised nobody's pointed at:

www.bestbookbuys.com

Which fronts a search engine that compares prices at dozens of online book
sites.  Search by ISBN, author, keyword, title.

Bookpool, BAMM and all the biggies are included in the search.

John Jamerson

From: "James Brigman" <jbrigman@nc.rr.com>
To: <ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org>
Subject: Buying Books
Date: Thursday, July 11, 2002 8:37 PM

Hey guys and gals;

I need to buy a couple of reference books for solaris. On the books I need
in this case, I'm finding prices vary wildly as I shop different places.

Borders stocks the particular books, but courteously declined to match
online prices, whether their own or someone elses. That's a big deal,
because in one case, their price is well above list price for the book (and
it's reviews aren't all that great). Books-A-Million has great prices but
poor local stock. Right now I'm looking at bamm.com and amazon, would prefer
not to buy from amazon because of all the magazine spam they hit you with
when you do buy something....

I've not shopped very much locally because I figure the selection will be
poor and prices high. But I could be wrong about that, so I'm asking. Do any
of you have good recommendations for where to buy books, whether local or
online? Does the savings from online purchases always evaporate with the
cost of shipping?

Thanks;
JKB