Experiences with Sun Qube

Helen Harrison ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:49:16 -0400

Good afternoon,
	I'm looking for admins to share their experiences with the Sun Cobalt Qube server appliance. This critter has been proposed as an all-in-one server for a local non-profit that I work with. This would be the only server in a network of about 10-15 workstations running various versions of MS OS's (Win 98 or later, I believe). There is very little onsite computer expertise, and a large reliance on volunteers for support, so these folks need something really simple to administer. From reading the vendor literature, this seems like just the thing--almost too good to be true, really. So, what are these things really like to live with? I can see how it would be quite useful as a departmental server on a larger network, for example, but how do they do when you are relying on them for everything on your network?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

-Helen Harrison

PS. Did I mention that Urban Ministries relyies on volunteers? If anyone with Qube & MS experience would also like to volunteer to help us get it setup (assuming we decide to buy one), we'd be most grateful.