Amanda support and backup servers

Scott Russell ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:05:47 -0500

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:52:03PM -0500, John Turner wrote:

> Right now they are looking at products from BakBone, Legato, Veritas,
> Tivoli so I would be interested in knowing what other local companies
> are using for network backups.

For what it's worth, we use Legato Networker 6.1.2 on Red Hat 7.3 right now.
I looked at our in house TSM/ADSM solution but at the time there was no
Linux server and we really felt that it would be wrong to run a Windows box
given the focus of our group.

Networker has been flawless for us with both IBM DLT7000 drives and the IBM
LTO 3600 tape lib. I did look at Amanda and Arkia (sp?) about two years ago
when we also looked at Legato and my impression then was that they wouldn't
scale for our predicted growth. The down side to Networker is that it seems
very pricey to me. Support from Legato has been good for me but it's hard to
find anyone who really has solid Linux knowledge it seems. Most are focused
on other flavors of UNIX.

--
  Scott
  Do not trifle with me, I have eaten 104 brains.