to boot or not to boot (Solaris)

Stephen Schaefer ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

If you have a cheap hub disconnected from the rest of
your network, you could keep it powered on and plugged
in to keep interface down messages from going away.
In /etc/nsswitch.conf, try to use "files" as the first
place to check for services, to keep it from
complaining about DNS and others being unavailable.
Let it run for a day, and then seewhat sort of things
accumulate in the logs.

Advanced: have a second logical network, either on
your current physical network or on a separate
physical network, over which you send all logging via
syslog to a log central machine.  The E220R has two
ethernet ports, if I recall correctly.  Have that
second port on the "logging" logical network, with its
own, connected non-service-providing IP.

Even more such advice, along with its
implementation(!) is available if you hire me :-)
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/oremacs/resume.html

Good luck,

    - Stephen