to boot or not to boot (Solaris)

Scott Morris ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:08:48 -0500 (CDT)

i use option 2 usually. powered on but physically off the network.
i've had problems with suns in the past (the drives really, not the
machine itself). if you leave a machine powered off for a long time
you sometimes lose drives when bring it back into service. A1000/D1000
used to be notorious for this so i got in the habit of keeping hot spares
hot.

another thing i do regularly is what somone else mentioned. keep the
machine up on a different IP. have it do something trivial like dnetc or
seti@home while waiting to go into service.

not sure what you mean my disk issues with power cycling. care to
elaborate?

Scott Morris		scmorris@ifndef.com
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.
pub  1024D/146D0BC9 2000-11-29 scmorris
Key fingerprint = 5348 7697 85AA 2117 8E7C  9A13 26BA C4FF 146D 0BC9