Exchange Server 5.5 Question

Liyun Yu ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:18:31 -0400

We have a email problem with one organization where they just hired
a new system admin and know only a very little about Exchange server
5.5 and its setup. I am not Exchange expert either.

We can reach their exchange server without any problem via
our sendmail server. But everytime when their user send us email,
we got the error message like this:

sendmail[216]: warning: can't verify hostname:
gethostbyname(listserv.astro.org) failed

My nslookup showed that this domain does not exist.

But the problem is that the listserv.astro.org is actually not their
server
at all. Their server is xserver.astro.org and we use that server sent
email OK.

Why we did not get the email address like normal email messages
such as <name>@astro.org but simply just listserv.astro.org?
How to fix this problem on that Exchange 5.5 server?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

--Liyun

--
Liyun Yu, Ph. D./System Administrator/Dept of Radiation Oncology