UPDATE: North Carolina System Administrators table staff

James Brigman ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:18:10 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C267C3.0A258570

Thank You:

Thanks go out to the folks who staffed the NC*SA table:

> Friday, 12 noon - 3 pm  : stan briggs
> Friday, 12 noon - 9 pm  : james brigman
> Saturday, 10 am - 9 pm  : Stephen P. Schaefer
> Saturday, 10 am - 9 pm  : Hunter Matthews
> Sunday,   10 am - 2 pm  : Liyun Lu
> Sunday,    2 pm - 6 pm  : Stephen P. Schaefer

I had a great time and I hope everyone else did, it was rewarding. I feel
the exposure NC*SA got was great and I sincerely hope we'll see more people
at Dreyfus as a result. I was able to meet several students and professors
from area schools at the event and encouraged them to join us at our
meetings.

I say again, I am proud of the professional "face" we presented,
particularly not selling anything or advocating any particular political or
O/S viewpoint. There was a camraderie between us and the other triangle
organizations that I felt was very positive. I found out much more about the
other groups and enjoyed meeting their people.

Almost-spam moment:

I've heard various viewpoints expressed in the media but this was truly an
event "by geeks, for geeks". I'm sure all of us know many of the attendees
as well as the fine folks who wore the yellow shirts each day. (Many of them
friends from technical industries who are between jobs.) It was a great
opportunity to see many other "geeks" and play with "geek toys".

The Circus was a kindred event to NC*SA's mission when you measure it by the
seminars presented. If one had bought the Superpass and gone to the
seminars, you could make an argument that the Circus provided very
significant training value for the dollar. They had well-equpped seminar
areas: the computing machinery (both PC and Mac) and the hundreds of IBM
monitors I saw were an impressive sight. The Unreal Tournament area did
justice to the "lan party" concept of gaming. I didn't hear any of the
gamers complaining. In fact, they were amazingly quiet as they lined up in
droves for game after game.

It was very, very much like USENIX, but without the travel and the cost,
where you learn about a broad spectrum of computer-based software and
hardware. Yes, there were vendors present but they were amazingly low key.

To draw the value back out of the admission, one would have had to commit
pretty much the entire weekend to the event. However, this event was much
more like a USENIX or a LISA in that respect, just over a weekend. If you
look at it from that perspective, it was a startlingly useful and relevant
event for the triangle at this particular moment, when all our employers are
so reluctant to send us to training. For those of us in NC*SA, that's "where
the rubber hits the road" and I think all the Lulu folks did a great job.

JKB

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C267C3.0A258570

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT size=3D4><U><FONT size=3D5>Thank You:<BR></FONT></U><BR>Thanks =
go out to=20
the folks who staffed the NC*SA table:<BR><BR>&gt; Friday, 12 noon - 3 =
pm&nbsp;=20
: stan briggs<BR>&gt; Friday, 12 noon - 9 pm&nbsp; : james =
brigman<BR>&gt;=20
Saturday, 10 am - 9 pm&nbsp; : Stephen P. Schaefer<BR>&gt; Saturday, 10 =
am - 9=20
pm&nbsp; : Hunter Matthews<BR>&gt; Sunday,&nbsp;&nbsp; 10 am - 2 =
pm&nbsp; :=20
Liyun Lu<BR>&gt; Sunday,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2 pm - 6 pm&nbsp; : Stephen =
P.=20
Schaefer<BR><BR>I had a great time and I hope everyone else did, it was=20
rewarding. I feel the exposure&nbsp;NC*SA got was great and I sincerely =
hope=20
we'll see more people at Dreyfus as a result. I was able to meet several =

students and professors from area schools at the event and encouraged =
them to=20
join us at our meetings.<BR><BR>I say again, I am proud of the =
professional=20
"face" we presented, particularly not selling anything or advocating any =

particular political or O/S viewpoint. There was a camraderie between us =
and the=20
other triangle organizations that I felt was very positive. I found out =
much=20
more about the other groups and enjoyed meeting their =
people.<BR></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D4><U><FONT size=3D5>Almost-spam =
moment:</FONT></U></P></FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D4>I've heard various viewpoints expressed in the media =
but this=20
was truly an event "by geeks, for geeks". I'm sure all of us know many =
of the=20
attendees as well as the fine folks who wore the yellow shirts each day. =
(Many=20
of them friends from technical industries who are between jobs.) It was =
a great=20
opportunity to see many other "geeks" and play with "geek =
toys".<BR><BR>The=20
Circus was a kindred event to NC*SA's mission when you measure it by the =

seminars presented. If one had bought the Superpass and gone to the =
seminars,=20
you could make an argument that the Circus provided very significant =
training=20
value for the dollar. They had well-equpped seminar areas: the computing =

machinery (both PC and Mac)&nbsp;and the hundreds of IBM monitors I saw =
were an=20
impressive sight. The Unreal Tournament area did justice to the "lan =
party"=20
concept of gaming. I didn't hear any of the gamers complaining. In fact, =
they=20
were amazingly quiet as they lined up in droves for game after =
game.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D4>It was very, very much like USENIX, but without =
the&nbsp;travel=20
and the cost,&nbsp;where you learn about a broad spectrum of =
computer-based=20
software and hardware. Yes, there were vendors present but they were =
amazingly=20
low key. </FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D4>To draw the value back out of the admission, one would =
have had=20
to commit pretty much the entire weekend to the event. However, this =
event was=20
much more like a USENIX or a LISA in that respect, just over a weekend. =
If you=20
look at it from that perspective, it was a startlingly useful and =
relevant event=20
for the triangle at this particular moment, when all our employers are =
so=20
reluctant to send us to training. </FONT><FONT size=3D4>For those of us =
in NC*SA,=20
that's "where the rubber hits the road" and I think all the Lulu folks =
did a=20
great job.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D4>JKB<BR></P></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C267C3.0A258570--