OT:Remote Software Management

Joshua Baker-LePain ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:41:52 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 at 4:24pm, Wesley Miaw wrote

> Hi,
>
> > - Sun's pprosvc for the Suns
> > - up2date for Redhat Linux machines
> > - yast for SuSE Linux machines
> > - manual updates for Windows machines(hey, I'm a UNIX
> >   admin - not a miracle worker!)
>
> I believe for multiple RedHat and SuSE machines they want you to look at RedHat
> Network and Alice respectively. You can also try to put everything together

You can also look at yum <http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/> for multiple
RedHat machines (and other RPM based distros).  Yum has a lot of very nice
features, like the ability to use multiple servers (even with different
but overlapping contents).

There's also current <http://current.tigris.org/>, which is an OSS
implementation of the server side of up2date, which allows you greater
control over the content and not to have to pay RedHat.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering