why are the current UPSs so light?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Feb 14 15:14:01 EST 2004

I was looking at an APC 1000 at Staples this morning and was surprised to
find that I can pick it up easily. There can't be much in there. Somthing
that's going to supply 1000 VA, if it has 4 of the regular UPS 12V
batteries in there, each one has to supply 20A which is a lot. Even if
it's supplying 500VA, that's 10A/battery, and those little batteries don't
do real well at 10A.

The APC 700 I have at work I can barely move. I know the old ones have a
lot of iron in them. Are the new ones all switchers with no iron?

It's hard for me to believe that something as light as the one I picked up
this morning can supply this much power.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks Joe