why are the current UPSs so light?

Gantt Edmiston gantte at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 14 22:08:06 EST 2004

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

>I was looking at an APC 1000 at Staples this morning and was surprised to
>find that I can pick it up easily. There can't be much in there. Something
>that's going to supply 1000 VA, if it has 4 of the regular UPS 12V
>batteries in there, each one has to supply 20A which is a lot. Even if
>it's supplying 500VA, that's 10A/battery, and those little batteries don't
>do real well at 10A.
>
>The APC 700 I have at work I can barely move. I know the old ones have a
>lot of iron in them. Are the new ones all switchers with no iron?
>
>It's hard for me to believe that something as light as the one I picked up
>this morning can supply this much power.
>
>Anyone know what's going on?
>
>Thanks Joe

Did you not see the fine print?  The part that says that the squirrels
needed to run on
that little wheel needed to be supplied separately?  ;-)

Sorry, I don't know exactly what's going on, but I do know that 1000 VA
/ 120 V = 8.33 A(mps)

You most likely were looking at the APC 1000VA BX1000 which specs at 23
pounds.
$140 at Staples.   Has 600 Watt max output

My experience with the units, they don't have a bank of batteries,
rather just one.
See: <www.apcc.com>

There is another, APX 1000VA Back-UPS Pro that's also got one battery.
This one is $559 at Staples and only has a 670 Watt max output.  It's 43
pounds.

Surfing the APC website didn't help much either...  I'm with you, it's a
mystery.