why are the current UPSs so light?

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 16 23:36:33 EST 2004

Joe, et. al;

If you're shopping UPS's, you might want to consider the Powerware or
better yet, the Liebert units. They both cost a little more but are well
worth it.

I've had a lot of professional experience with the APC's and they have
universally, and without exception, sucked. APC UPS's kill their own
batteries after a year or less. I've had several APC units fail
immediately after put into service. They are the worst of the worst.

I personally own two PowerWare "OneUPSPlus" units and they have been
rock solid for two years, even though they are the lowest cost Powerware
units available. They have been used many times, as power here in north
wake is unreliable at times.

Our speaker at the last NC*SA meeting demo'ed his product against the
APC product using some measurement and load devices and the poor
performance of the APC was striking compared to the Liebert unit.

I'm as poor and budget-limited as anyone, but I'll go without a UPS
before I'll waste money on an APC unit.

FYI: Here's a website showing many of the various NEMA plugs with
pictures:
http://www.stayonline.com/categories/power.asp

Here's where you can find a better UPS than APC at a wide range of
prices:
http://www.stayonline.com/ups/index.asp

JKB