trying to do dynamic routing following failover

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Feb 19 15:23:52 EST 2004

At home I have two linux boxes that I can dial-up (56k) from. Boxes inside
at home are NAT'ed to the outside world through whichever of these
machines is dialed-up. I'm using vrrpd to set these two machines into
active/backup state and to move an IP to the active machine. This moveable
IP is the default gw for the machines inside.

As part of the ppp dialup, the active machine gets a default gw. The
backup machine currently is getting a default gw which points to the
active machine from one of the failover scripts.

It occurs to me that I should be able to run some dynamic routing protocol
on just the two dialup machines and for the active machine, after getting
its default gw on dialup, to let the backup machine know that the active
machine has the route to 0/0. I don't know much about rip/bgp/ospf, but
I've looked at the docs for zebra (which has all three protocols) and
setup zebra on two machines in the same AS, and set a default gw on one of
them (static, from the command line), but when I look at `show ip route`
etc I don't see default routes, and the backup machine isn't seeing a
default route in the zebra output. Running traceroute to some outside
machine from the active machine works, but traceroute to an outside
machine fails on the backup machine, since there is no route to 0/0.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? What am I missing?

Thanks Joe