trying to do dynamic routing following failover

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Feb 19 17:16:45 EST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> I've looked at the docs for zebra (which has all three protocols) and
> setup zebra on two machines in the same AS, and set a default gw on one of
> them (static, from the command line), but when I look at `show ip route`
> etc I don't see default routes, and the backup machine isn't seeing a
> default route in the zebra output.

ahha, solved!

you have to "redistribute static" before the route will appear on the
other machine. The next tricky part is that you have to wait several
minutes before you can use this route on the other machine. Presumably if
I do the same thing with bgp or ospf rather than rip, the information will
be available on the remote node more quickly.

Joe