setting up a local outbound mailserver at home for dialup

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jan 2 19:44:26 EST 2004

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Scott wrote:

> To avoid password prompting by your ISP you can tell postfix to
> masquerade as a mail server within your ISP domain. For example, I have
> RoadRunner and configured postfix to use smtp-server.nc.rr.com as the
> relayhost.

I've been doing other things, so haven't done it yet, but I believe
this is the solution. Tell all internal machines to use the smtpd
on the router as their relay. Since this is sendmail here, I believe
all I have to do is put a SMART-HOST = mail.isp.com and I'm done.

> I then setup a canonical map to rewrite all internal
> domains to external domains as follows:

hadn't thought of this. I have the return e-mail address as an outside
machine.

> /etc/postfix/main.cf :
> 	canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
> /etc/postfix/canonical
> 	@internal.domain @nc.rr.com
>
> If needed we can further configure postfix to masquerade it's domain
> name used during HELO to be "isp.net"

hmm, let me think about this. In my case, I receive mail at a machine on
the other side of the country.

> I think this solves your problems but I'm not sure if you're also
> talking about using your mailserver for outgoing SMTP external to your
> internal domain. (For example when traveling).

no, no. I don't want to poke any holes back into my machines at home

Thanks Joe