newbie apologizes for spam filter headache

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 11:19:49 EDT 2004

I don't know if this is the case for Joseph, but I've had problems in
the past because my isp blocks any email which comes from servers on
DNSBLs like spamcop.net rather than using that as on indication of
spam. This has prevented me from even signing up for several lists,
and has caused me to be suspended from several yahoo groups multiple
times, because my ISP was bouncing mail.

I never could convince them that this was a bad thing to do*, so I set
up my only mail server for use for mailing lists, and treat my isp
email address as collateral damage in the spam wars.  I do my own spam
filtering with SpamAssassin, which seems to do a much more effective
job than my ISP does.

And now I'm using gmail for most lists because of it's neat approach
to threads/conversations.

*They LOVE the fact that bouncing mail this way reduces the load on
their servers. Of course the USPS would save money on carriers if they
could toss arbitrary first class mail away with impunity. Wait! maybe
they do!