IP-KVM

Iztok Umek iztok at si-con.com
Tue Sep 14 13:51:57 EDT 2004

Liyun Yu <yu at radonc.unc.edu> said:

> Hi, Tom,
>
> Thanks for reply. Yes I agree, the "monitoring" is really my words. Thanks
> for correction.
>
> Tom will send us his presentation soon. NC*SA will post it on their web
> site.
> Therefore we will know exactly which definition he used for this.
>
> Last night, my last question to Tom was that what IP-KVM solution he
> would recommend
> or what manufacture/vendor he would recommend. Tom said he just star to
> look into this issue and will share with me once he has some answers.
> It is my understanding that maybe this is still an very early stage
> of using IP-KVM?  Well maybe that was why Tom put that part into
> his million-dollar-idea package :-)

Dell repacks Avocent (almost 100% sure) KVMs for its remote solution.

When we need to manage remotely (we have a co-lo few states away where we don't
have an office) we use 3 products.

1. IBM remote access built into the Blade Center management module.
2. Avocent Remote KVM
3. Avocent Remote Serial

and to complement we have Avocent power strips so we can remotely power on/off
devices.

All this is in use for a year now and no complaints so far.