OT: SI vs Imperial [was re: daylight saving time algorithm changing]

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Tue Aug 9 11:36:20 EDT 2005

as a mechanical engineer, i can say in no uncertain terms that metric is
the only way to fly.  in four years of college -everything- in my
classes was measured in metric units.  force in newtons, mass in grams,
length in meters, etc.  -every- engineering drawing i made while working
in the auto industry (including gm, ford, and chrysler) was in metric.
i've lived and worked in europe, the rest of the world laughs at the US
for not using metric.  except when it comes to cars - europeans still
rate their engines in horsepower :)

perspective is not the issue.  engineering calculations are next to
impossible using the english system.  by any objective measure the
metric system is -better-, period.  it is only inertia keeping the US on
our current system of measurement.