OT: SI vs Imperial [was re: daylight saving time algorithm changing]

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Tue Aug 9 20:06:14 EDT 2005

On Aug 9, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Brian Henning wrote:

>> I personally don't like the metric system outside of soda bottles.
>> Imagine buying a liter of milk. It's just not right. I also prefer
>> the 427 V-8 engines to the roughly equivalent 7.0 liter designation.
>>

> I for one don't like my recipes sounding like chemistry
> experiments. Having dated someone from an SI-speaking country, I
> have first-hand experience.  Somehow "250mL dry sherry" makes me
> think of pouring stuff in graduated cylinders(*), not creating
> delicious food...  In the same vein though, the SI-speaker just
> goes to show it's completely a matter of perception.  'Round here,
> SI means chemistry class.  Over there, it's just the way it's done.

I've had the thermostats in my place set to celsius for the last
couple years and now I can think in celsius for everyday
temperatures, not just CPUs.  I think the metric system would be a
better way for us to go.  It is more sane, and easier to use.

The markets will adapt to it, with no trouble.  No doubt they'll find
a way to make their products sound even better than before, just by
changing the numbers.

That all said, I also know my weight in stones (and that I should
probably lose one.)

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org
ICBM: 38º 56' 32.6"N 77º 24' 47.7"W Z+62m