AIX Printing Question

Brett L Feller felle002 at mc.duke.edu
Tue Mar 1 19:50:55 EST 2005

Hello,
I rarely post to this list but have a problem concerning AIX and the way it
handles print jobs being sent to an HP printer.  Please understand that I
am not the Admin of this AIX box, but am responsible for the printer and to
some degree the application support.   Here is the problem:
The Printer is only printing from Tray 3 and does not fail over to Tray 2
when Tray 3 runs out of paper.  Even though there is paper in the Tray 2.
The HP Firmware is configured to Print from any Tray with suitable paper
and both Trays have the correct paper loaded.  However, the Printer
documentation states that the Printer Firmware configuration is overridden
by commands issued by a Print Job or an Application.  The Admin says that
it is not AIX's fault that only Tray 3 and never fails over to Tray 2.  He
is laying the blame on HP.  Now, I understand that the HP Firmware will
start a job from Tray 2 before Tray 3 - unless told to use another Tray.
The rub is he showed me the settings in AIX that are telling it to print to
Tray 3!  The second part of this is that when not using AIX, and letting
the Printer choose the Trays, it works flawlessly - the Trays will failover
from one to the other without a problem.

Can someone point me to documentation on how to configure AIX to print to
any Tray so that the Printer can decide what Tray to use?  Does any know if
it is possible in AIX.

Thanks,
Brett