SAGE vs IEEE vc ACM [Was: Re: Greets and thanks]

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Wed Mar 16 23:39:34 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Dan Singer wrote:
>Hi, welcome to the group.  This list is usually pretty low volume, but
>feel free to buck that trend!

Sure. You just opened a can of worms!

Ok, here's a question for y'all. Which professional organizations are the
best/most worthwhile to join? I got my SAGE membership last year and haven't
begun to pursue all the little benefits, but it's provided decent enough
value for me now, at least for the price.

I also get offers to join the ACM as well as IEEE. Would it be worthwhile to
do either of those? Or both?

Are there any other professional organizations I should consider joining?
Discounts on conventions aren't very meaningful to me since I can't afford
to go to any on my own and my workplace is far too cheap to spring for
anything itself. Now, discounts on certification programs, that'd be nice!

P.S.
  Yes, my geek code is hopelessly out of date. But hey, so is the geek code
itself... ;)