Greets and thanks

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Mar 18 20:16:23 EST 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 15:55, Jeff The Riffer wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Brian Wilson wrote:
> > Talk about ways to silence a crowd...
>
> Heh. A little shocker to see if everyone's awake. :)
>
> In truth, I do have a Windows PC at home. Why? Because I don't have
> enough time at home to manage a personal linux box. I've got my linux
> workstation at work, various servers and (sigh) FreeBSD box in
> Seattle I help babysit.
>
> As sad as it is, many things are quicker to setup and configure in
> Windows than in unix. *grumble*

point-counterpoint :-)

i just got a new thinkpad t42, loaded with wifi, bluetooth, cdrw, etc.
first thing i did was slap in a larger drive, so i had to reinstall the
OS(es).  first came windows, installation took about 45 min and no
hardware was detected.  spent the next three hours downloading drivers,
installing, configuring, testing, etc.  plus the requisite two hours
farting around with the OS itself just to make it passably usable
(patches, winzip, acrobat reader, putty, java, flash, ...)  and after
5+ hours wireless -still- doesn't work right.

now time to install suse92.  nfs install takes the same 45 minutes.
reboot and EVERYTHING works - wifi, bluetooth, gig-e, display, sound,
printing (to a remote printer no less), and so on.

if your time is valuable, the choice is obvious (to me, at least).

jason