Greets and thanks

Brett L Feller felle002 at mc.duke.edu
Mon Mar 21 07:47:07 EST 2005

The problem with this scenario:
    "i just got a new thinkpad t42, loaded with wifi, bluetooth, cdrw, etc.

   first thing i did was slap in a larger drive, so i had to reinstall the
   OS(es).  first came windows, installation took about 45 min and no
   hardware was detected"
- is that the laptop was an IBM.  The Windows install would have been much
simpler if it was a Dell.  I think the one problem that the Dell introduces
is that no major manufacturers support Linux on their PC's like IBM.  But
then again - in a few more months, IBM won't be a manufacturer.

Brett

Brett Feller
IT Analyst, DHTS Customer Support

e-mail:   brett.feller at duke.edu
Office - (919) 668-0595

                      Jason Tower
                      <jason at cerient.net>                To:       NC*SA Discussion List <ncsa-discussion at ncsysadmin.org>
                      Sent by:                           cc:
                      ncsa-discussion-bounces at ncs        Subject:  Re: Greets and thanks
                      ysadmin.org

                      03/18/2005 08:16 PM
                      Please respond to NC*SA
                      Discussion List

On Friday 18 March 2005 15:55, Jeff The Riffer wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Brian Wilson wrote:
> > Talk about ways to silence a crowd...
>
> Heh. A little shocker to see if everyone's awake. :)
>
> In truth, I do have a Windows PC at home. Why? Because I don't have
> enough time at home to manage a personal linux box. I've got my linux
> workstation at work, various servers and (sigh) FreeBSD box in
> Seattle I help babysit.
>
> As sad as it is, many things are quicker to setup and configure in
> Windows than in unix. *grumble*

point-counterpoint :-)

i just got a new thinkpad t42, loaded with wifi, bluetooth, cdrw, etc.
first thing i did was slap in a larger drive, so i had to reinstall the
OS(es).  first came windows, installation took about 45 min and no
hardware was detected.  spent the next three hours downloading drivers,
installing, configuring, testing, etc.  plus the requisite two hours
farting around with the OS itself just to make it passably usable
(patches, winzip, acrobat reader, putty, java, flash, ...)  and after
5+ hours wireless -still- doesn't work right.

now time to install suse92.  nfs install takes the same 45 minutes.
reboot and EVERYTHING works - wifi, bluetooth, gig-e, display, sound,
printing (to a remote printer no less), and so on.

if your time is valuable, the choice is obvious (to me, at least).

jason