Horde/IMP versus Squirrelmail

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue May 24 09:15:02 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 10:42 pm, Jeff The Riffer said:

> I'm helping build the new maple for my little gang of friends (maple
> as in
> the server, not the app), and convinced the partner-in-crime to do
> Linux
> instead of OpenBSD.
>
> So now I'm trying to decide if I should install Horde/IMP on the new
> box
> (FC3), or try out Squirrelmail. Any suggestions? This is for a small
> group
> of no more than a couple of dozen users, though many of them are quite
> e-mail active.
>
> (And yeah, I'm planning to do Maia Mailguard as well)
>
>  ####################==============----

Jeff,

I run squirrlmail, and am happy with it. With the proper incentivising
I may be convinced to give you a temporary account on my box so that
you could try out squirrelmail.  If you have a Trilug Shell account
you should be able to try out Horde/IMP.  I really don't like the
interface to Horde/IMP, so I can't recommend it.  I like the idea of
webmail, and will be deploying it for the company I work for.  But
webmail is slower no doubt.  One thing you may want to test is what
IMAP server you will run, and how it does on loaded mailboxes.  There
are some things you can do to speed up webmail, the squirrelmail wiki
has some suggestions.

In any case I can highly recommend squirrelmail.

Matt Pusateri