Furthering one's education

Rob McCauley robmccau at radonc.duke.edu
Fri May 27 09:29:40 EDT 2005

> 	o Anyone else been in this boat, or similar? What'd you do?

Yes.  I bit the proverbial bullet and got the degree.  Rather than
suffering through years of part time college, I finished the last ~2 years
full time while working 2 jobs 40-65 hours a week.  If you do this, expect
to essentially suspend your personal and family life until you're
finished, and try to keep the concentration of blood in your caffeine
stream relatively low.

> 	o Are the degrees from on-line universities like Phoenix or
> Strayer generally given the same weight as "real" degrees?

IMO, no, but then you're not applying for a job with me. :)  I know for
certain degrees (MBA, for example) it makes all the difference in the
world where you get it.

> 	o Would it be better to prioritize my time/money towards
> certificates and professional training?

Degrees are primarily keys.  If I'd refused to take a foreign language in
college but took everything else, I'd have gained as much useful value
from it, but I wouldn't have the degree and a good number of doors would
simply remain closed.  I also have a non-degreed acquaintance who is
making a LOT more than I am.  There are other doors.  If you're a
naturally gifted networker and really good at what you do, the "BS or
above required" sign on the front door might not matter.

In other words, it depends.  In my case, getting the degree was well worth
it.

Rob