Furthering one's education

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Fri May 27 15:16:39 EDT 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Craig Cook wrote:
> Doing a degree part time is tough.  I did 2 subjects part time and hated
> it.  Everyone is different though.  After working all day I was too
> tired to concentrate on doing school work.  I have huge admiration for
> anyone who has done their degree part time.

That's how I got my A.S.
While working at, among other places, a convenience store.

So yeah,it sucks. It's a lot easier when you've got a naturally
flexible/weird work schedule though.

> I believe more in "real world" skills.  You have to prove to your
> employer your value.  Industry certification would prove that faster
> than a degree.

True, but certs require renewal, and much more lump money payments.

> Are you being refused jobs simply because you do not have a degree?

I DO have a degree, but only an associates. I haven't been told outright
that I've been refused, but a lot of jobs I apply for are the "Bachelor or
equivalent experience" sort.

I suspect that for my long-term career future, I'll need a Bachelors of
some sort. I'd prefer a BS but it may end up a BA or even an MBA will do.
Who knows?