Questions for S.C. candidates for monday's elections

Dan Singer des at cs.duke.edu
Sat Nov 12 15:29:02 EST 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

 > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Stephen P. Schaefer wrote:
 >
 > > I am asking to what potentially canceled meeting two years ago do you
 > > refer?
 >
 > I was thinking of previous meeting cancellations and was proposing that we be
 > ready for future cancellations by having the S.C. ready to give a talk.

It's never been important to me that we have a meeting every month.
I think this becomes a quantity vs. quality issue, and also stresses
out the S.C. members.  Furthermore, I think that if we *require* S.C.
members to give talks, we're going to have even that much more trouble
in finding S.C. members.

Also, this decision of moving to 501(c)3 (non-profit) is far from a
done deal.  I think the membership as well as the S.C. needs to
discuss this thoroughly.  So far, I'm only aware of two S.C. members
(one out-going) who really advocate it.  Pros and cons should be
thoroughly aired.  It should be voted on by S.C. and also by members.
Perhaps it should go through the same process as amending the NC*SA
constitution?

Many assumptions are seemingly being made now based on the assumption
that we've decided to move in that direction, including basing
judgement of past officer's actions on some framework as if we had
already been a 501c3!  I think things are getting a little rediculous.

Another topic for discussion:  Should NC*SA continue as an
organization?  Due to chronic apathy, I've wondered this for a long
time, totally serious.  And I don't know that going to 501c3 will
magically cure the apathy problem.

Regards,

-Dan

--
Daniel E. Singer, System Administrator
Dept. of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham NC 27708 USA