Sponsor at RTI

Michael Garvin mgarvin at mcnc.org
Thu Oct 13 09:26:07 EDT 2005

Good directions!  As for who/what we are, MCNC is a non-profit that provides
the Internet connectivity to the UNC system (and various other state and
educational institutions) by operating the NCREN network in conjunction with
the universities.  This includes Internet, Internet2, Abilene, NLR and other
networks.  The network is multi-gigabit, with diverse paths and exit points,
and includes video.

We also are providing hosting for those entities through our data center
here in RTP (the aforementioned facility), which has direct connections to
the NCREN network.  Hosting at the core of the network makes sense for
applications that may have mixed-use, saving hops to the network edge.

MCNC also provides some HPC services to education, including a cluster and
SGI Altix.  We are also providing services to NLR in a technical role.

 - Mike

--
Michael Garvin - SCSA, SCNA, SCSA Security
   Systems Programmer/Analyst
mgarvin at mcnc.org
http://www.mcnc.org/