last day for Triangle InfoSeCon early bird discount

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Oct 16 17:17:50 EDT 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 ncsa-announce at ncsysadmin.org wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> today is the last day to get the early bird discount on registration for
> triangle infosecon on 11/1 in cary.  we've got a great speaker lineup -
.
.
> regards,
> lisa

this recent posting on ncsa-announce appears to be from the
NCSA steering committee. It was not authorised by the
steering committee (ie by passing a resolution at a properly
convened SC meeting) and is not from the steering committee.
Several of the SC discussed the matter apparently and agreed
that NCSA should endorse the conference.

This posting was by a member of the SC using their passwd
priviledges without authority from the SC. Postings to
ncsa-announce are propagated through other lists, eg SAGE.

It is quite reasonable for anyone in NCSA to post to
ncsa-discussion personally endorsing an event or
organisation, after declaring their relationship/interest to
it, and that is exactly the sort of thing that should be on
ncsa-discussion. Despite the "we" in the posting to
ncsa-announce, NCSA is not involved in InfoSecon (although
members as individuals apparently are).

NCSA's charter, modelled on a 501(c)(3) organisation is
limited to Education in a non-profit context. NCSA is not in
the business of endorsing or not-endorsing events and
organisations not under our control. To do so would mean
that NCSA has thoroughly investigated InfoSecon, and in the
case that an attendee has a bad experience there, NCSA is
happy to go to court and spend all its money and possibly
all of the money of the SC members, defending against the
suit. In the case of a commercial event like InfoSeCon, as
well an endorsement would invalidate our tax free status.

I have been engaged in discussion with the SC members
involved and asked for a retraction of the posting and
suggested that they repost to ncsa-discussion as
individuals. The person who thinks he can authorize this
posting is adamant that the posting stand.

Consequently I've decided to alert the NCSA members that the
posting was not by the SC and if it were, the posting would
jeopardize NCSA's status as an educational organisation.

Joe Mack
SC member, Treasurer