Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Oct 17 10:00:22 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,
   Windows Server 2003 has been bugging me for a month at least about
installing Service Pack 1.  I've been deferring, knowing Microsoft's
penchant for pushing out Service Packs fully capable of helpfully hosing
a working system and turning it into a quivering mess.

So...

Can some folks out there comment on the smoothness of upgrading Server
2k3 to Service Pack 1?  Some key elements of my situation:

- This is not a directly public-facing machine; it has internet access
behind NAT but does not provide any public-facing services.
- It is NOT an AD master browser.
- It DOES share certain volumes.
- Properly-functioning Java is a big deal; currently using Sun's JVM
with a few extra libs.
- It runs Terminal Services with two CALs..  wouldn't want those to get
messed up somehow.

I think that's the main set of issues that strike me as things that a
Service Pack might affect.  Does anyone care to comment and perhaps lend
insight into particular bugaboos for which I ought to be on the lookout?

Thanks a bunch!
~Brian