windows: NTLDR not found

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 8 08:34:57 EDT 2005

(Disclaimer: I'm not a windows person. My only contact with
windows is to help other people who use it. So I'm not real
familiar with windows).

I moved a working W2K disk from one thinkpad to another of
the same vintage (from a 390 to 600, both are about 5yrs old
PIIs, approx 300MHz). On attempting to boot the new
installation I get

"NTLDR not found" (or whatever)

message.

I move the disk back to the original machine and it boots
just fine showing that NTLDR is there. NTLDR is visible if I
mount the disk on a linux machine.

As a control, I exchanged a Linux harddisk between the same
two machines and they both boot up just fine, giving me a
perfectly usable machine (startx works etc), showing that
the two harddisk controllers are treating disks the same way
and that there's not a lot of difference between the two
machines.

googling tells me

o Microsoft says that NTLDR is missing and I should boot off
the rescue disk and copy over NTLDR. This is obvious
nonsense and I'm not going to risk stewing a working
harddisk by booting off a rescue disk in the non-working
setup (it may work on the new machine, but not on the old,
or it may not work on either anymore).

o other people say that somehow NTLDR is above the 1024
cylinder limit (and there are more than 1024 cylinders in
the partition). If this is true then it shouldn't be
bootable on either laptop.

In the past I've had similar problems installing windows
(W98, W2K) on one machine (which has the CDROM) and moving
the disk to a similar i586 desktop machine (which doesn't
have a CDROM) I get the "NTLDR missing" message there too.

Any ideas anyone?

from what I can see.

Thanks Joe