computer-to-computer communication over USB

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Sep 9 15:38:09 EDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Brian Henning wrote:
>
>> Joe,
>>  A PC-to-PC USB connection is possible, but it requires active electronics
>> along the way; although adapters are sold which can passively produce a USB
>> cable with Type-A Male plugs on both ends, if you plug two computers
>> together like that you'll melt stuff and/or release the magic smoke.

I joined the USB mailing list. I found out

o no-one is sure what these cables are. They might be USB
over ethernet and require OS specific software at each end.

o turning a USB host controlling laptop into a USB client
keyboard requires at least a USB client chip on the laptop.
So forget it.

They wanted to know why the kid couldn't copy his files to a
floppy or USB memory stick and hand that to the teacher. A
simple enough idea but the school has fixed ideas on what
is allowed and what is not allowed and this isn't possible
at the moment, while the device with memory that acts as a
USB keyboard is OK.

Thanks Joe