computer-to-computer communication over USB

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 8 10:50:21 EDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Brian Henning wrote:

> Joe,
>  A PC-to-PC USB connection is possible, but it requires active electronics
> along the way; although adapters are sold which can passively produce a USB
> cable with Type-A Male plugs on both ends, if you plug two computers together
> like that you'll melt stuff and/or release the magic smoke.

I didn't like the idea of connecting two power providing
plugs together without knowing more.

> What you need is (I think) called a USB Bridge.

thanks, didn't have any idea of what I needed.

> http://www.sewelld.com/UsbCable.asp

OK

> At any rate, you'll notice the lump in the middle of the cable in the
> picture; that's the important bit for making such a connection.

yes

Presumably as far as the USB bus is concerned, each computer
thinks is connected at the transport level, to a USB client
(or whatever the other end of a USB connection is called).

> According to the product description on that site, that package includes
> software for transferring files; however, I'm sure it doesn't include
> software for doing exactly what you want to do..  Perhaps someone else can
> offer insight into the possibility of achieving your ultimate goal.

hmm. At the next level up, the USB software running on the
laptop is running a USB host controller and is not running
as a USB client keyboard. Presumably this could be fixed in
Linux, but the machine involved is a windows laptop. I'd be
suprised if there's software to do this.

However I've got a few hints here for things to google for.
Maybe I can go to the Linux USB mailing lists.

Thanks Joe