computer-to-computer communication over USB

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Sep 8 10:02:34 EDT 2005

Joe,
   A PC-to-PC USB connection is possible, but it requires active
electronics along the way; although adapters are sold which can
passively produce a USB cable with Type-A Male plugs on both ends, if
you plug two computers together like that you'll melt stuff and/or
release the magic smoke.
   What you need is (I think) called a USB Bridge.  Check out...
<disclaimer> This is NOT a product plug or endorsement.  This is simply
a result I found with 30 seconds of googling for "USB bridge".  I have
no idea if this particular product, or company, is any good.</disclaimer>

http://www.sewelld.com/UsbCable.asp

At any rate, you'll notice the lump in the middle of the cable in the
picture; that's the important bit for making such a connection.

According to the product description on that site, that package includes
software for transferring files; however, I'm sure it doesn't include
software for doing exactly what you want to do..  Perhaps someone else
can offer insight into the possibility of achieving your ultimate goal.

Cheers,
~Brian