computer-to-computer communication over USB

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 8 09:04:59 EDT 2005

For school, my 10yr old son has an AlphaSmart. It's a
battery powered keyboard with a (about) 10 line x 40 char
LCD screen with an editor and enough memory to produce files
of several pages of text. To a desktop machine it appears to
be a USB HID keyboard. The AlphaSmart has the square USB
plug and you connect the two machines by a USB cable. On the
desktop machine you open up your editor and on the
AlphaSmart you hit "send file" and the text appears on the
desktop machine in the editor window.

I was wondering if it's possible to replace the AlphaSmart
by a laptop computer and have the laptop look like a USB
keyboard to the desktop machine. The first problem I see is
that both the desktop and the laptop machine are USB hosts.
Can they talk to each other or can a USB host only talk to a
USB client (or whatever the other end of USB is called)? Do
you need a null modem type cable? Assuming I can solve this
problem I still don't have any idea how to turn a laptop
into a USB keyboard. Since I can't fiddle with the desktop
machine at my son's school, the laptop would have to appear
to be a USB keyboard, ie I can't do tcpip over USB (if that
exists).

Thanks Joe