windows: NTLDR not found

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Thu Sep 8 13:31:48 EDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> So I should flash the BIOS (shudder).

Flashing is fun! Wheeeeeee! ;)

> They tell you to insert the "System Program Service Diskette" and follow
> the instructions. Presumably you make this from the sps_xxx.exe file on
> the same site (which I've downloaded). There's no instructions on making
> this diskette. Do I dd the file to the diskette (just kidding)?

Just run it from DOS or Windows. It'll prompt for a blank floppy disk to
automatically write an image to. The floppy that it creates is what you
boot from. IBM (and many others) use this for a lot of their
distributions.

> Maybe this will solve the missing NTLDR problem with the laptops, but I
> don't know how this helps with the desktops (which are fairly old). Do
> they need new BIOSs to run W2K or W98?

They might. First you're going to want to check the minimum hardware specs
of those OSes against your actual hardware. If they don't meet the
minimums, don't waste your time trying to get it to work.

If they do then yeah, you may need to flash the BIOS. I recommend doing it
anyways. You can usually revert to the factory BIOS using special jumper
combos, or just make a backup of the BIOS image before flashing.