windows: NTLDR not found

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 8 10:15:20 EDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Liyun Yu wrote:

> This might has to do with the BIOS.

OK went to the IBM site about the BIOS. I find I have
an older BIOS which amongst other things does not support
W2K (what functionality is missing they don't tell you).

>From this website I found out that one of the features of
the laptop BIOS is "simple boot" which means that the
machine remembers the type of disk it last booted from (and
presumably won't allow you to boot from a different disk -
is this a neat feature or what?). Fortunately I can turn
this off.

So I should flash the BIOS (shudder).

They tell you to insert the "System Program Service
Diskette" and follow the instructions. Presumably you make
this from the sps_xxx.exe file on the same site (which I've
downloaded). There's no instructions on making this
diskette. Do I dd the file to the diskette (just kidding)?
Do I copy the .exe file to a DOS bootable diskette and just
run the sds_xxx.exe program? The instructions just say to
insert the disk into the computer and turn on the power and
then start from the menu. Presumably you need an
autoexec.bat file or something else too.

Maybe this will solve the missing NTLDR problem with the
laptops, but I don't know how this helps with the desktops
(which are fairly old). Do they need new BIOSs to run W2K
or W98?

Thanks Joe