[NCSA-discuss] DNS Questions

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Tue Feb 21 14:54:45 EST 2006

On Tue, February 21, 2006 2:36 pm, Iztok Umek said:
>> If I was
>> running a nameserver, I wouldn't accept short TTLs. When I
>> tried it on my changeover a few days ahead, none of the
>> machines accepted the short TTL (yes I updated the serial
>> number).
>>
>> You might have trouble getting some already uncooperative
>> nameserver hoster to change your TTLs anyhow.
> The issues are when you are not following the TTL directive. Some people use
> low or 0s TTL for SPECIFIC servers on purpose to achieve network load
> balancing over multiple ISPs in multihomed environment.

Actually there's another issue, which is common confusion about the two
different TTL values specified in a DNS zone. There's the default TTL setting
that you can specify:

$TTL           14400;

which is the default time-to-live all records will use unless an explicit TTL
is specified on each line. There is also a TTL value specified in the SOA
record for a domain. That is NOT the default time-to-live value but the
Negative Acknowledgement TTL value! It determines how long a nameserver will
cache a negative response to a query (i.e. how long a nameserver will
rememeber "Nameserver bob told me there was no such record as
gumbo.hotsheep.com")

Many folks mistakenly change the SOA value. I think this is because earlier
versions of BIND did in fact use that value for a default TTL on actual
records, but I'm too lazy to check that.

Oh, here's a good link:

http://www.netadmintools.com/art232.html